May 10, 2014

It's a strange sort of feeling, when you realize that you have given-way to much mental atrophy. When you open the GMAT books and realize from math to logic and even the grammar seem to be a little much for you. So much so, that you (once-again) succumb to intimidation and put them books away in favor of another mind-numbing television show a'la Netflix. It's too bad the GMAT doesn't feature TV-show trivia. You are fairly certain you would pass that exam with flying colors. Not so much anything to do with books. Despite a bursting bookshelf and a brand-new-Kindle in your life, you have barely turned a page in the last three months.

So what have you been doing with your life? A little bit of this, a little bit of that. Maybe more of that than this, but no one's complaining (yet). Determined to maintain the pretenses of your career when you came to the-land-of-the-free, you soon decided to leave the economic development of the land-of-the-pure to its own devices in favor of learning how to cook. And it doesn't help that cost of labour in this part of the world means that one has to do ones' own vacuuming. And laundry. And bathroom cleaning (yuck). And pretty much everything else.

It's interesting how easy it is to get caught up in household what-have-you's and realize that it's the end of the day and you have: cleaned your room, sorted out the clothes, bought some groceries, prepared the food and in-between a couple hours at the gym trying to prevent yourself (not very successfully) from becoming a blob-with-a-big-tummy. And every once in a while (maybe more than once, in that while) you shop-a-little-bit just for the barest of life's essentials, you know like clothes. And shoes. And more clothes. And did I mention shoes?

So there you go. The mindless consumerism combined with household bits-and-bobs soak up most of the hours in the day. Which explains what I've been doing all this while. But it does not explain the regression of mental function. I'm not sure if anything does. I'm also not sure why I decide to pass up TED Talks in favor of Grays Anatomy. Okay, maybe I can explain the Grays (old addictions die hard), but there's Private Practice, and Twisted, The Secret Circle and a whole other host of inane shows some of whom would be better off not watched. Seriously. And of course there is the absence of anything even vaguely academic or career-oriented in my life. There are days (like today) when I feel like my brain just decided to go off all alone on its honeymoon, and is sipping a mai-tai on some beach somewhere amusing itself with fancy math and lots-of-logic while I sit here, bemoan its absence and make myself feel better by indulging the stupid.

And of course, it does not help that I'm married to a man who does Linear Algebra for fun. Say's he, one evening, 'Do you want to help me with a math problem?' and then proceeds to explain that there's an X, Y and a Z axis. And he wants to project something to another X, Y and Z axis (or some such) so how would one built the coordinate transformation matrix (forgive my untutored translation, maybe he wanted to ask me something else altogether). Fun times!

Maybe I should just get him an "I'm with Stupid" T-shirt, say good-bye to the brain that seems to have abandoned me, and just find-me a new TV-show to watch.

Sigh.

No comments: