November 10, 2012


Every month begins with a new set of resolutions. It's depressing to see how many of them are the just carried forward from a previous month with an extra (somewhat desperate) emphasis on the 'I WILL'. Because despite our best efforts, people are predictable in that we want change to happen to us, but we don't really want to change.

One day I will magically open my eyes in the morning to a better, thinner, nicer me. I turn around and there's Mr. Perfect (and Mr. Perfectly-in-love-with-me), possibly with chocolate in one hand and flowers in the other. Okay, that picture brings up an instant gag reflex so lets insert big-warm-smile and tickets to a grand-adventure-travel-destination into this picture instead. Point is, he's there, and he's not going anywhere (no matter what provocation I may or may not give him). I walk out of the room into my beautiful, sunny house and plan my day. I only do the work I love, and that also in a quantity that I'm happy with. There is no evil boss to dictate my life. Oh, and have I mentioned that happily-hanging on the wall of my study is my PhD degree?

*insert-sharp-sound-of-dreams-shattering*

Instead I wake up to a million things undone, a desperate new-old set of resolutions and a frantic worry about when I'll get done with the never-ending work in time to work on the PhD applications. My mailbox has many emails from evil boss that makes me think that weekend-work is inevitable. The love-life is dismal, and to add to the complexity Mr. Rebound has just informed me of the unsatisfactory (and kinda-really-sucky) 'rules' of a non-relationship, via SMS. Who the hell has (un)meaningful and (non)relationship defining conversations via text-messages?

New resolution for the month: find a new rebound. This time, choose better.

10 comments:

Anuradha said...

My gut tells me that this is probably what I'd be like 10 years from now.

*sigh* *hug*

Saad F'akhtar said...

the minute you lay down "rules" of any sort, you're in a relationship. just sayin'

Xeb said...

A: Yea, its pretty inevitable :P

Boid: Maybe. But by that token when you think the rules suck, you've in effect walked out on (yet another) relationship :P

Saad F'akhtar said...

you've walked out only if you had been invested to begin with. and if you're invested in a rebound, you need your head examined.

but then, knowing you....

Xeb said...

Knowing me... :P

Know of a good shrink?

Xeb said...

And no, I hadn't invested (yet). The decision was mostly whether to invest or not to invest.

The answer is, not to invest.

Moving on...

What's up? :P

Anonymous said...

saad u never shud have left xeb. u guys were meant for each other!

Xeb said...

See Boid, we now have outside validation that you should never have 'left' me and broken-my-heart and destroyed-my-future! :P *sigh*

Saad F'akhtar said...

iss true.

Anonymous said...

u know bigamy is perfectly ok in this part of the world....