May 5, 2011

Another trip to Karachi, another mango. For those not attuned to my life aaj kal, 'mango' is what the gang has started calling the rishta-boys. It's a rather clever derivative of 'mangaitar', and I'm not sure how it emerged in discourse a'la Xeb but it has stuck. I heard that mango plus mother had descended on us as soon as I landed in Karachi at 5:00pm today. And I heard that they were waiting for me every 10 minutes as I waited for baggage that took a good hour to come through.

So mango-boy of today wasn't horrible (I suppose). He was tall - this my mother triumphantly informed me as soon as I entered my house an hour and a half later loaded down with baggage. He was also foreign-returned having spent the last decade somewhere in Germany. He was accomplished with a fancy sounding degee in something to do with alternative energy. He was balding - but as mommy said in his defense - most boys nowadays are a little lacking in the hair department. It must be something to do with the water. But there was nothing vaguely interesting about him, and while we were having the obligatory one-on-one conversation all I could think of was can someone just get me out of here and give me a hot cup of tea? He, on the other hand kept wanting to talk and repeatedly stressed that he was going to come to Islamabad 'soon'.

And at the end of another fatiguing session I realize that there's nothing 'wrong' with him (is there ever?), and I get exhausted trying to pick out faults. The simple truth is, there's nothing 'right' about him either. And right now, I'm just very much in charity with Wilbur Sargunaraj when he says: "mummy daddy, I vant a lowe marriage"



Ps: So I just showed mommy Wilbur's-Words-of-Wisdom. After quizzically looking at the screen for a few minutes, she says 'Well, who's telling you not to fall in love? Fall in love with any one of the boys I show you. After that you can get married. And then it'll be a 'lowe' marriage". And so saying she goes right back to checking her email. *sigh*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://tastyappetite.blogspot.com/2010/07/chicken-pakora.html

Anonymous said...

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/14/style/shaken-and-stirred-an-east-coast-lubricant.html

Gaia said...

your mommy is wise :)

Kevin said...

http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaiseafoodrecipes/r/seafoodmango.htm

Considering the circumstances, not to mention the fact that it's Cinco de Mayo, it's time for you to throw a dinner party!
See symbolism if you wish, and perhaps invite the friendly landlord to bring a Pathan specialty! It's a themed menu, here's hoping that your luck in the is better than Mr. Bin Laden's. Or mine for that matter.