March 25, 2011

Would you believe when the world cup started out it made little or no difference to my life? The bwoys were a bunch of idiots that - seemingly - had nothing better to do than to embroil us in one controversy after another. Once-upon-a-time, they had actually been good looking - but ever since Younas Gill became Mohammad Younas the whole tone of the team changed to the fanatically bearded. And as any woman will tell you there are very few men who can carry off facial hair with style - and the bwoys clearly had none of those men. Under Inzy's regime, they didn't have very exciting figures either. I mean let's face it - a pot-bellied torso does not make for an athletic image. And then ofcourse there is the backwater angraizi. I have wondered a million times why they cannot do one of two things: English language classes (easily available in our post-colonial state) or an Urdu-to-English translator (any number of people would volunteer for the job). Point is, the bwoys made little or no difference to my life. That was then. Now they seem to have taken over, and all of a sudden my world revolves around the boys in green and how they play the game. With every subsequent match I'm drawn deeper and deeper until I find myself wondering how I can persuade ze boss to give us all the day off so that we can enjoy the semi-final. Then I figure it's not like I need to ask - nobody will really be working anyway! :P The India-Pakistan match is going to be EPIC ladies & gents! :)

Here's to Wednesday next! *Go-bwoys*:D

13 comments:

Roshni said...

Im all for the Pakistani cricket team too...Hell yea...but I really REALLY hope the pakistani nation and supporters still give the guys credit for the chain of wins so far even if God forbid something goes wrong this coming wednesday. It won't be surprising if there's berserk (sp?) behaviour in the case of a loss, which would really demoralize the team especially given the pressure they'll be under. With that said, may the best team win - which needless to say is Pakistan :P

Anuradha said...

Haha I'm looking forward to the semi-final.

Hope WE win. :P

Anonymous said...

Correction: Younis Gill never became Muhammad Younis. It was Yousaf Youhanna that became Muhammad Yousaf and he is not playing

Anonymous said...

And I never understood your objection to their English. I am sure a footballer from Espana will look cute to you trying to speak broken English. At least you or no one else will ever bother to suggest them English classes or shut up

Xeb said...

Anon: As you can see, in the past, the boys never really made a difference to my life. Mohammad Younas - Mohammad Yousaf it was all the same to me.

Anon2(?): Tell me, are you one of those who get's mad at people who make fun of Meeraji?

Anonymous said...

I think you're getting a little ahead of yourselves. There are several more games to go and the rout of West Indies, while encouraging, was a foregone conclusion.

Xeb said...

Err, what part about hoping (and praying) we win the match is getting ahead of ourselves. There 'is' no foregone conclusion to this one. Which, is what makes it truly EPIC! :D

Anonymous said...

I wonder if subconsciously you wrote India before Pakistan?

Anonymous said...

Yes ma'am. :p

Daud Khan said...

inshahallah we won

Ali said...

bowys yawao-fied...

:(

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should cover cricket for The Onion.

Shhhh, it's a secret said...

You've got a pretty tight bowling rotation, but at 31 Razzaq ain't exactly a rookie... He didn't pitch at all, and his batting, which is supposed to be his strong suit, was a disaster.