February 14, 2011

There are some days that are engineered to blow up in your face. Today is one of them. This particularly explosive day began with a realization that it seems likely that my ring is not going to be found after all. This is one of two rings I have worn every day for years now. A ruby, set in gold, it was given to me by my grandmother. I took both my rings off on Friday night, went in for a shower, and came out again to find the ruby one gone. I’ve been searching for it through the weekend, and this morning after going through the adjoining drawers for the millionth time, it seems that the ring does not want to surrender itself to me. Needless to say, it breaks my heart.

Also affecting my general state of being was the fact that I had forgotten to re-stock my staple breakfast of oatmeal, and there was none to be had this morning. I had to leave for work today on just chai, and needless to say it’s not the best way to start the day. The drive over was plagued by a very cheery Khalid being consistently hit on by a range of men each of whom elaborated on a grand plan to sweep K of his feet for V.Day. Now, as much as I like Khalid (and we all know I do), I deeply resent how many men seem to want to sweep him off his feet, when none around me seem inclined to do so. What does Khalid have, oh-men-of-this-world, that I do not?

(Err, on second thought, don’t answer that! :P)

So I reach work and head to come face-to-face with the boss waiting at the reception looking pointedly at the clock. It’s 9:25 and I’m ten minutes beyond the acceptable time to come to work. This is NOT good, think I. Not good at all. She says, in a not-fun-tone-of-voice, that the Monday morning meeting will be at 10:30. I say I thought it was going to be at 9:30. She says, it’s already 9:30 (which it isn’t really, but who is going to argue with her in this sort of mood?). It turns out that the reason for the foul mood is that EVERYBODY is late. My fellow managers and most of their teams as well as some of the administrative staff have not come in. Anyhow. A full-staff meeting is at 10:00 (this is the one where we all get bitched out about being late) and then a managers meeting is at 10:30 (this is the one where we get bitched out about our teams being late, and about being bad role-models).

It’s 9:47am, and this damn day has just begun. Somehow, I suspect it may not exactly be a Hallmark production.

5 comments:

Aneela Z said...

maybe the maid wants to re-gift you the ruby, it being Bhalentine Day and all. Jokes aside, look in the bed. Granted you live under the Pathan Godfather's roof but there are things other than horse's heads to be found there.

SaJ said...

You blog at work. Nicccee.
I so wanted to answer the question. :)

Anonymous said...

As a matter of fact, while leaving a steakhouse in Midtown, I bumped into a very gregarious, well dressed gentleman of about 70, who compared his life to 'Pretty Woman' and claimed to 'do legal stuff'. He wore a ring fitting that exact description. How it got from your finger to his, is of course, a private matter, though Aneela's piece of the puzzle and mine seem to fit together. It seems all of this ranting about Khalid might be a bit of a smokescreen.

Aneela Z said...

aye hai, i NEVER inferred THAT, anonymous!What I meant was dont be scared to look in the bed for the ring (lest you are tense you might discover something unsavoury there)

Anonymous said...

Dude, whatever. The more you try to make it sound like that's NOT what you meant...