February 16, 2011

The smell of coffee - even the disgustingly icky instant kind - makes me incredibly nostalgic for New York mornings. I can close my eyes and imagine that I'm still in the big building next to Sakura Park looking out at cherry blossoms and the Hudson river. I feel like I should be exiting the second floor through the reception out on to Riverside Drive, and walking past the Church and the Manhattan School of Music on through Broadway past Columbia, past the bookstore, past the ever-tempting Aerosoles shop to Artopolis where steaming mugs of coffee combined with the most heavenly nutella-chocolate-crepes heaped with berries and whipped cream wait for me. And this is where I will sit for the next few hours, day-dreaming, looking out at the people passing by and - in between all that - reading a book.

And that, my loves, is what I should be doing this beautifully foggy morning instead of sitting around at a guest-house in F-7, working on the design for a livelihood development project for women. Not that this work is not fulfilling, but the truth is, I'm in a very empire-state-of-mind today. *sigh*

4 comments:

SaJ said...

That sounds lovely. The smell of coffee and memories.
*sigh*

Xeb said...

*sigh*

Shhhh, it's a secret said...

Yeeah, isn't it great? Especially Artopolis - I like the crepes. Blemishes aside, what a great neighborhood - sort of the Lake Wobegon, or yes, Neverneverland of NYC. When are you coming to visit?

Babar said...

Ah! You put me in very heavy nostalgia for the empire state. I am thinking more about the upstate though. There is nothing in the world like an upstate New York winter seen through a coffee shop.