February 8, 2011

It's funny how facebook brings you face to face with people who used to be an intrinsic part of your life once-upon-a-time, and now you barely know them anymore. A part of me hurts a little, when I look at pictures of the same people but in new places, with new friends, new family and a life that seems to completely exclude me. But a larger part understands, and excuses because I am as much to blame as they are for this lack of communication. But it's more than just absence of the occasional email, I think. It's also that were I ever to come face to face with some of them I'm not sure I'd be able to manage anything beyond five minutes of obligatory polite conversation. Maybe we'd reminisce about specters from the past - atleast those that we would collectively remember at any rate. I'd ask them about their family that was, they would talk about their family that is. And ten minutes later we'd tell each other that we must meet up, hang out, catch up and then murmur polite excuses and get out of there most likely never to meet again until another five years later. What is it about the human being that makes us so fickle that the people who made up the heart and soul of our social fabric now exist on the fringes and we barely even notice? And how many of the people who surround me now, I wonder, will join the ranks of these obscure facebook friends a few years down the road?

3 comments:

Deepak Iyer said...

For the first part of the post: http://www.slate.com/id/2282620/

Shhhh, it's a secret said...

We all accumulate people, some have more meaning than others, usually how much meaning they have is for a reason.

OnLY OnE..! said...

how true!
sigh.
I think the same thing sometimes...