November 4, 2010

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, it does. This week the proponents-of-marital-misery present to me: midgets. A part of me is dismally depressed, because it occurs to me that the sadder-the-specimen they pass on to me, the lower they think my marriage-market rate is. The way I see it, every time they think it's a good idea for me to marry someone old, or fat, or bald or tiny-and-midget-like they are not judging ze-boy as much as they are judging me. They think, and I defy you to prove me otherwise, that in my aging desperate state I should be glad to marry anyone, midget or not. And I resent that judgment and protest against it. Most vehemently. Midgets, my loves, just will not do.

And in that frame of mind, I march (err, well telephone, but the gesture was similar on the whole) to mommy and demand that this strange new move be explained to me. I thought, given that my trust in mommy is implicit, that she would be as appalled as I was. However, instead of telling me to invest in healthy quantities of 'midgepel' (you know: midgets aap se dur, rehne par majboor), she turned around and read me a LONG lecture how shallow I am turning out to be and about how I should repent before I'm forced to regret the order of my ways. She further insisted that midgets make good husbands too, and there you go before I know it I'm being signed up as an unwilling member of the midgets appreciation society.

Sigh. There is a lot I've been willing to put up with since I moved here, but seriously, Midgets?!?

13 comments:

Deepak Iyer said...

Seriously, what's wrong with midgets?!
(I was one until a few years ago.)

Xeb said...

Nothing. What's wrong with not wanting to marry a man who comes up to your shoulders?

Xeb said...

Actually scratch that. My point is not the midget, he doesn't really factor into things at all. My point is, given that an arranged marriage is rarely about wonderful things about personality, if it was then people would not wed their children to monsters-with-money. The arranged variety is all about furthering the genetic pool, maintaining religious conformity and generally ensuring a series of progeny to carry on familial heritage. Given this reality, Mr. Midget is a judgment on my sense of worth in the larger marriage market. And no matter how much I may dislike the parameters for judgment, let's face it: no one wants to be judged and found lacking. Haina?

Lonely Perverted Soul said...

I think its about time you start considering younger guys like us who may actually prefer slightly older woman than them.. :)

Xeb said...

Err, yes. ofcourse.

Deepak Iyer said...

That I can agree with: it's not about him at all, and that it is your value being adjusted.
Having said that, those who opt for an arranged marriage do know that they're signing up for something where they will judged on the flimsiest of factors. Big nose, small face, squinted eyes (or worse, no reason given at all and one is left to figure out what is the problem with one), you know the drill.
Now it might not affect a confident person (such as you *ahem*), but it can be a blow to the self-esteem of not-so-fortunate ones. It's horrible.

Flipping your argument, the guy's being devalued too here, since he's now being shown girls taller than him.

Jenneth said...

I had a similar experience as you Xeb a year and a half ago- it was quite sad for both parties concerned. My suggestion is to get those college applications out fast :)

Anonymous said...

What are your thoughts on settling down with someone who is not as educated as you? I have to go through this whole meeting-the-boy charade and the problem is that while I studied for around 5-6 years and got a professional degree, he's just got a BBA (from 'Amreeka', but its still just BBA.)
Advice?

shahrukh said...

Tsk tsk. Chokri, toru sou thasey?

Xeb said...

Jen: *sigh* Still thinking about it! :P

Anon: I actually don't really care that much about education. As long as someone is intelligent, and well-read, I don't really put all that much faith in fancy degrees. Ofcourse there 'is' a correlation, but it's not the end of the world (I think)

s: Na? Khabar nai su thaase maaru. Par, kai na kai to thayyaj jaase, one hopes! :P

Anonymous said...

What is he were a midget billionaire? What would you do then?

Anonymous said...

Assuming it was a 'he'.

Xeb said...

Anon: Fortunately, I wasn't given that particular quandary to ponder over. He was a middle-income sort of midget. And yes, he was a he. Family sponsored, what else do you think he would be?