November 8, 2010

I've been asked a time or two why I'm suddenly missing in action re: blog. I don't really have an answer. As October dwindles and fades into November, I realize I'm missing a muse. And I suppose, if truth be told, life has suddenly taken over in a way that somehow prevents documentation. And so I've been busy: busy with work, busy outside of work. Interesting things taking place all around, engagements, marriages, divorces and naturally each brings with it another excuse to party. The weekends have been chock full of interesting-things-and-interesting-people, and office-ka-kaam is suddenly intense (in a nauseatingly-migraine-inducing-way, but what can you do?). Peter-Pan is more Pan-nish than even I gave him credit for, and life is generally as simply-confusing and fully-empty as always. Yes, midgets are on the horizon, however one or two conversations with the nearest-and-dearest have convinced them that shallow or not, I will not cooperate in their marital quest unless I am guaranteed the opportunity to have children who will not die of sun-shortage. They think I am mean, insensitive and that I often fail to remember that I am not myself a beauty queen. I beg to differ (just a little bit) about the last point, however I remain firm in my disapproval of midgets as a future life partner. *bus* And that is all we will say about this subject.

It occurs to me - often - that life in the motherland is so very one-dimensional. There is so much going on around all of us: politically, socially, economically and yet everyone around me (including myself, if confessions are called for) is singularly fixated on my love-life. It occurs to me that when I was not living in the midst of this madness, I was much more concerned about petrol going up 7 rupees a litre, sugar prices hiking up to Rs. 110 a kilo and other assorted nuisances that did not (then) pale in the face of impending spinster-hood. Suppose, for just one minute, we were to drag our attention away from my dismal love-life, we could - perhaps - have a conversation about other things. Such as the likelihood of this sorry excuse for a democratic government falling victim to yet-another-coup. Or the fact that our esteemed General Kayani is ranked as the 29th most influential person in the world (and that too sans Presidency). Or we could ponder about why the media is particularly vicious with the anti-Musharraf attacks these days. One would think that they would have bigger fish to fry than our ex-dictator. Such as, for example, the Chief Justice with absolutely no intentions of rescuing any missing people. Or our vigilante lawyers who've decided beating up policemen is the ideal way to ensure country-wide rule of 'law'.

Or maybe not. Maybe assorted female relatives are right. Kya faida itni saari parhi likhi baaton ka? Tumhara problem, Xeb, hai ke tum bohat intellectual-si ho. Ab kaunsa larka aisi larki pasand kare ga? Because intelligence, my loves, is not a prized commodity in Pakistan. As is pretty obvious, if one considers our present government.

6 comments:

Deepak Iyer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Xeb said...

Okay then.

Lonely Perverted Soul said...

*sigh*

Vagabond said...

I came back after months, only in the hope that you'd have settled down, either by pretending and convincing your aunts about your homosexual tendencies and that you'd rather 'come out of the closet' soon, than marry a 'man', any man, midget or 7'2, OR you'd have settled down, happily in the real Pakistani definition of settling down, happily (which is more than often unhappily).

And as I see it, neither has happened. The 'nuptial drama' is just dragging episodes over episodes and blogpoasts over blogposts, with climax not in sight anytime soon. It's not even getting interesting, or remotely close.

My fingers crossed yo!

Xeb said...

V: My apologies. I sincerely hope my dragging life did not offend you in the way that a bad movie does when you wonder why they didn't invest in a better script-writer. The thing is, I have my fingers crossed for you, int he hopes that you will find something more interesting to read the next time you pop by. Ta-ta.

Vagabond said...

Haha Ouch! Damnn.