September 18, 2010

I woke up feeling like someone had shoved my bed hard enough to nearly knock me off it. Still drowsy from just-beginning sleep, it took me a frighteningly long time to realize that the world around me was still shaking. The first thought that went through my head was 'bomb-blast', and I actually rushed to the window to see if something of the sort had taken place. As soon as the blast of cold hair hit my face I realized what was happening, and I ran out of my apartment stopping long enough to shuck my diaphanous nightgown in favor of jeans and a T-shirt (all the while mentally cursing myself for not wearing earthquake friendly attire to bed). Joining the throng of people outside, I stopped short at the entrance of my building because it was still raining cats and dogs. We waited around for about five minutes (though it felt like longer) buffeted by the rain while we wondered how long is an acceptable time-period to be assured aftershocks are over and the building is not going to fall down on top of our heads. Finally, people began to trickle back in and I - along with the rest of the crowd - came back in out of the dismal cold into my warm apartment and even warmer bed.

Except sleep eludes me.

I reflect on how unfortunately miserable life is in the motherland. Given the rapidly escalating crime rate, coupled with trigger-happy suicide bombers running around all over the place, its not like we lack man-made opportunities for death and destruction. We really-really don't need the entire natural world trying to do us in as well! First the damn flood (generally), then today's freak hail-storm that wreaked havoc across the city followed by tonight's particular earthquake which happens, we were just told, to be 6.3 on the Richter scale.

I don't know about you, but I just want to know what the hell is going on here! :(

6 comments:

Sidra Chaudhry said...

awww *hugs*
it was scary waisey. =/ i felt it too.

Roshni said...

Wrath =|

fatima- said...

=c

lubz said...

it seems the earthquake didnt cause enough mayhem to be reported in western news... Sky, BBC don't mention anything. I guess that;s a good thing in some way eh?

Lonely Perverted Soul said...

I'm clueless as you.. But i think it has to do with Pakistani people losing there humanity or something...

majworld said...

it really was a scary quake..hope all gets well for the homeland again.