August 11, 2010

Fasting is a communal activity, only do-able when there is a chorus of fasters hanging around each other reinforcing the importance of ignoring the hunger pangs. Beginning earlier, as we always do, we're in the not-so-privileged position of watching everyone else enjoy the last day of food-and-drink a'la sunlight, while already having transitioned to the other side. It's a lonely, hungry couple of days people, pliss appreciate.

While I wait for the sun to set, I'm reading some more of 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khalid Hosseini. I've been reading this book for over a week now. It's taking so long because every few pages I have to stop before I become completely overwhelmed. The book is excruciatingly well-written, and disturbingly real, but more than that it's so evocative it makes me feel every single thing the protagonists must have felt at various points in their lives. I'm on pg 226, and I think the book must have reduced me to tears at least fifty times along the way. It's just that sort of story, in that sort of setting told by a storyteller who does not spare his audience in any way. A part of me wishes I could just abandon this book in favor others (as I have known to do when things get too depressing for my liking) but I can't. Despite everything, the book is a compelling read and as I turn the pages, I'm so invested in these characters that I know that somehow I'm going to make it through till the end, ravaged emotions and all.

8 comments:

Deepak Iyer said...

I understand it would be terribly inconsiderate to link to pictures of cakes and pastries and deliciously yummy, spicy, colourful food that makes ones mouth water.

Which is why I'm not pasting links. You're welcome.

Xeb said...

Thanks Deepak! :P I appreciate the magnanimity of that gesture!

drama queen said...

that book left me depressed for a week after i was done reading :( its a beautiful book!

Ali said...

I was mewling like a baby, towards the end of the book. I cried for 2 hours after that and when i was finally done with my sniveling, someone from not so distant past texted and well...

I even marked pages and all :P

Xeb said...

d: It is. And I've been down all week while I was reading it too. But now that it's over, I feel oddly deflated. As if this is all I'm going to get to experience of these characters? I suppose that's Hosseini's genius, he truly made them come alive.

A: There was so many quotable lines in that book! I actually re-read a number of pages because they were that good. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

it was hardly as good as the kite runner. the author was trying too hard while writing a thousand splendid suns..the kite runner was effortless and as a result captivating. Although well written, it just didnt do it for moi!

Arunima said...

one of my favourites. Had to wait for the price to come down :-)

Sadaf. said...

Umm I dunno why but A Thousand Splendid Suns didnt work for me at all.