August 15, 2010

Ali G just sent me an sms with a Confucius quote which says: "Wherever you go, go with all your heart".

All well and good, Mr. C, but it seems to me that wherever I go, I take my heart with me, only to leave bits of it behind. A piece of it is in Karachi, in the house I grew up in, in the room with the black ceiling and the silver fan. A part of it is in Lahore. In a certain part of the LUMS campus with steps that looked up on a starlit sky. A piece is in Manhattan, on a windowsill where it looks out onto the river, the park and the Church behind it. And on the Low Library steps, in Columbia. Some of it will always be in a graveyard in Karachi sitting next to a tombstone made of Ziarat white marble. And in an office complex next to the Korang river in Barakaho. And still, whatever remains is here, in a little apartment in F-11, Islamabad, and I'm sure - after I'm gone - a bit of it will stay here too.

The question, Confucius-ji is this: how many pieces can the heart be broken into before one wakes up and realizes that I'm quite-quite heartless now?

9 comments:

Lonely Perverted Soul said...

Depends on the person i guess...

Ali said...

it should be 'wherever you go, leave your heart.'

Roshni said...

whereever you go, be content with being there.... o_0
Apart from that.....-ehugs-

sharbet said...

Boy do I know what you mean. I was trying to express a similar sentiment in my post 'Pieces of me'. The way I try to think of it is, your heart has no limits or boundaries. It can take it all in and be a part of each and every experience and place you have been and be more enriched by it.

kay-without a tee! said...

thats so so true! God damn this heart of ours!

Anonymous said...

This rings true for so many of us today. We scatter itsy bitsy pieces of us, our lives and our souls all over the world. All this is well until we want to start putting the pieces together... :) That's when I find myself having problems.

Komal Ali said...

Story of my life. :)

Anonymous said...

Maybe we should see it as planting a seed wherever we go. A seed that would become a strong, shady tree for us and for others.

Awais Aftab said...

The heart blooms through leaving its pieces behind.