July 29, 2010

Isn't it strange how these things happen? Almost a year ago, you came to 'see' me with your mommy in tow. I liked your mother a lot, she was charming, well-read, well-spoken and very sweet. We spoke, she and I, far longer and you and I did. When we were forced to sit alone and converse you spoke to me of Hong Kong, and how much you liked it. Your family business, and the role you hoped to play in taking it forward. You were sweet, a little-scared (but so was I) and you made me laugh (which was nice). Ultimately, I think it was clear to both of us that I was not what you were looking for, and when your mommy called mine, I think there was not much argument when my mommy - very regretfully - said that she did not think we would suit.

That was then.

Today, my grandparents just told me that you and your mommy died in yesterday's plane crash. I'm sorrier than I can say. You were truly wonderful people, and I'm glad I got to meet you for the hour-or-so we met. I don't know how to express this regret I feel deep down inside (even though our interaction was limited to the most superfluous conversation) that you're gone. I don't know where you are right now, you're possibly having tea with my father (in which case you're the lucky one here) but wherever you are, I sincerely hope you're happy. When the old die, they die after living a life filled with actualized dreams. When the young die, they take all their dreams with them. Maybe we'll have a chance to get what we want in the next life. This one seems to be a little overrated anyway.

I'm sorry. Rest in peace, both of you.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

:(

Annie said...

Dude! ...:(

watercolor said...

Two of the students on board were from the school I taught at. One, a popular athlete with a joyful personality and the other was in my class, a lovely, thoughtful, incredibly hardworking and intelligent young girl, so full of promise. I haven't been able to absorb this tragedy. The senseless loss of such young lives is hard to understand and accept. I grieve for all the victims and their families.

Minerva said...

Oh man. This is the seventh person I know who knew someone on that plane.

This is just unspeakably depressing.

Minerva said...

http://rabkidharti.wordpress.com/2010/07/28/ed-202/

Anonymous said...

Hey

No offense , u shld give time to ur posts , so dat odrs can read it , tum tu aik kay baad aik post likhti jaati hu , like these words are just junk , and have no importance :x

Anonymous said...

This morning I received an SMS from a friend asking about one of our common friends. I dreaded that he was on the plane.. checked the list of names of passengers in the newspaper but didn't find his name. Was relieved and then decided to check one more time.. only to find his name.. I missed it the first time as it was spelled incorrectly. I had missed it yesterday as well probably because I had never expected him to be on the list. What a kind-hearted guy he was.. always smiling.. My heart goes out to his family members including his wife and kid. Another friend told me about a person we know who was supposed to be on this trip but did not go through with it somehow. Such is life.. unpredictable.. who knows how many of us will be gone by tomorrow or even before.. it feels so strange, even trivial, to work on formatting a doc or working on some mundane task after such a tragic and unfortunate incident.. what does one do?

Ali said...

I was supposed to be on the very same plane that crashed

I am not sure what to make of it..

Anonymous said...

@Ali: It wasn't your time then. Enjoy the life you've been blessed with. God bless you!