May 18, 2010

Only-One shared on her blog today some quotes from Shantaram that totally made my morning :) Without her permission, I'm going to steal some for you to read. I hope it makes your day too!

"One of the reasons why we crave love, & seek it so desperately, is that love is the only cure for loneliness, & shame, & sorrow. But some feelings sink so deep into the heart that only loneliness can help you find them again. Some truths about yourself are so painful that only shame can help you live with them. And some things are just so sad that only your soul can do the crying for you."

Deep, but true. There's something to be said for every single human emotion. Just the simple act of feeling (doesn't matter what you feel: anger, sorrow, fear, shame, joy) brings out a whole new facet of your personality. Only those people who feel, grow, methinks. Others remain stunted. Happy maybe, but flat. Like a two-dimensional cartoon: amusing, but hardly believable.

"If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you don't get the joke."
And hence my deep-rooted penchant for dark comedy. It's a trait shared by many of my country-(wo)men I have noticed. Possibly, because fate has played so many j0kes on us in the recent past, it's impossible not to be amused.

"Happiness is a myth, which was invented to make us buy things."

Myth or no, I must admit, buying blingy things means Xeb is a happy bunny :P

"People haven’t stopped believing in love. They have stopped wanting to be in love. They just dont believe in happy endings anymore. They still believe in love, and falling in love but now they know that romances almost never end as well as they begin."

Sigh. Don't I know it. I believe in love (who doesn't). Romance, I also believe in. But happy endings, I think, belong to the same realm as pink unicorns and Harry-Potter-from-Hogwarts. And I truly don't think I'm being cynical here. Just real. Which, I think, is the sad part.

Anyhow, enjoy the quotes. Enjoy the day. We're alive, and there's so much out there with the potential to go wrong which hasn't yet. And THAT, my loves, is still something to celebrate.

Good morning! :)

12 comments:

Deepak Iyer said...

Whoa ! Did Gregory David Roberts use "beleive" in Shantaram?

Back to the topic : I tend to agree with you, although using the phrase "I believe/don't believe in .. " makes little sense. Because you just can't argue that romance/love/happy endings exist or don't exist.

The right way to put it should be "I believe love/romance/happy endings will/will not happen to me". Na?

Xeb said...

Tell me Deepak, since when did you quit your day-job to play Grammar-Nazi (spelling and sentence structure)? :P

Deepak Iyer said...

That's my superpower at night .. kinda like Batman.

Xeb said...

Haha, but if you recall, people generally looked forward to the Batman's arrival at their doorstep. The Joker on the other hand... :P

Deepak Iyer said...

Hmm .. if you put it that way, I'm not sure what I'd rather be compared to : an intriguing, weird character, or a gay superhero.

Lonely Perverted Soul said...

Well i believe in love.. And all that goes wid it but ur right tht thr r no such thing as a happy ending... Only reality.. I have all the love to give but no one to take it... Emotions are the only thng that makes us human.. And yes definitely fate makes us laugh...

Xeb said...

D: Do you have something against our gay friends? I'm absolutely shocked at your insensitivity! :P

LPS: :)

Mars said...

"If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you don't get the joke."

:)

this one resonates with me.

as for Shantaram, there is a whole another world within the covers...grittier yet magical.

BeKn|GhTeD said...

Actually you are being a cynic. You don't have to believe in a happy ending, just hope for one.

Deepak Iyer said...

Xebji, once again I just made an observation, you made the conclusion [:P]

khalid said...

Thank you very much..khalid

Xeb said...

Err, is this actually Khalid-from-the-breakfast show (in which case I'm thrilled) or just another annoying-anon playing a silly joke, I wonder? :P