May 30, 2010

Neruda is awesome. Every time I come across his poems (and I come across them often enough) I uncover new meanings to all that he says. I just stumbled upon Sonnet XVII again, and I know - without a shadow of doubt - that this is the kind of love I'm looking for, the kind that I hope exists-for-me because to settle for anything less will be such a disappointment. Neruda says:

I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that never blooms
but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;
thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance,
risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
so I love you because I know no other way

than this: where I does not exist, nor you,
so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.

*sigh*

:)

9 comments:

Salman! said...

So do i love it, nice way of expressing the way she/he love :D

Lonely Perverted Soul said...

Hmm...

Anonymous said...

can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?...i could really use a wish right now...:(

Anonymous said...

xeb, have you seen Il postino?

,

Xeb said...

S, LPS: :)

Anon1: Let's give it a shot. Who knows? :P

Anon2: Nope. What be it?

Anonymous said...

google, m'dear, google! :-)

oh, go on then, i'll tell you since you ask so persuasively :-)

great film. neruda. and there's some great music by Gardel as well!

,

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, and could I just add xeb -for your lahori readers- that there's a vigil at 7 p.m today at liberty roundabout. (I hope you don't mind me posting that?)

Salman! said...

My first ever poem, hehe, do have a look, and follow, http://bit.ly/d6jpqN

watercolor said...

OMG. You must see Il Postino.

(Also, I have to say, I prefer the Stephen Mitchell translation of this one).

P.S. I really enjoy your blog.