March 2, 2010

I know I'm a fascinating and-all-that but singers/songwriters out there really need to go out there and find more material to inspire them than the life-and-times-of-Xeb. Seriously, the number of songs that talk-about-me are getting somewhat annoying now. The one below, for example, is a particularly excruciating rendition of where I stand today. I don't know whether to thank R for gifting me with this song or throw something at her. I think maybe I'm going to do both. Now excuse me while I go write a strong letter of complaint to the singer-songwriter guild demanding compensation for the inspiration that my life (apparently) provides them.

*sigh*


When she was 22 the future looked bright
But she's nearly 30 now and she's out every night
I see that look in her face, she's got that look in her eye
She's thinking how did I get here and wondering why

It's sad but it's true how society says her life is already over
There's nothing to do and there's nothing to say
'Til the man of her dreams comes along
Picks her up and puts her over his shoulder
It seems so unlikely in this day and age

She's got an alright job but it's not a career
Whenever she thinks about it, it brings her to tears
'Cause all she wants is a boyfriend, she gets one night stands
She's thinking how did I get here, I'm doing all that I can

It's sad but it's true how society says her life is already over
There's nothing to do and there's nothing to say
'Til the man of her dreams comes along
Picks her up and puts her over his shoulder
It seems so unlikely in this day and age

9 comments:

S said...

Question - Does it seem like Avril Lavigne is speaking straight to you too when she sings "He was a boy, she was a girl, can I make it any more obvious?" :D

Xeb said...

Nope nope. Lavigne is okay. So far.

:P

Saad said...

consider that your life is SUCH A GIGANTIC cliche that every song is about you!

Xeb said...

Hahahaha, I actually thought (and thought about writing a post) on EXACTLY that last night! :P The idea was how to non-cliche my life. I couldn't really think about what to say though, so I decided to leave the post for another day!

Arunima said...

lol! glad to get your link again.

Really wish to meet you xeb. :-)

Xeb said...

A: Ditto. Look me up if you're ever in Pakistan! :)

veda said...

@Saad I am stealing this idea for a column, not sure how to credit it to you, but I'll think of a way.

Xeb said...

Err, why credit Saad and not me!?!?

veda said...

@Xeb It was mainly you and kinda went uncredited in the print version because I didn't know how to link it. I'm now asking our web team to do that.
It's also highly disappointing because I was headachey, hungover and crunched for time while writing.
Sorry!