January 9, 2010

Yesterday I sat on a Fulbright interview panel reviewing applications, looking at tired, nervous people come in and out of the room so very-very eager for an opportunity. As the youngest member of the panel I was somewhat surprised to see that my voice was taken seriously by the others, and (to-tell-you-the-truth) gratified also since this was a fairly prestigious panel. But nothing-nothing-NOTHING was better than the absolute feel-good that came from interviewing a truly deserving candidate, putting the A+ in front of his name on my evaluation sheet.

My life is filled with tiny moments such as when a community-based social activist turns around and tell people he's a 'consultant'. When my once-upon-a-time farmer, now enterprise trainer attends a closing ceremony in a beautiful black suit and tells an audience filled with the development sector elite what his professional opinion is. When the same trainer comes up to me to show-off his clothes (complete-with-shiny-tie) and shyly tells me he's decided to go back to school for a masters degree. When I de-brief my material with the community and they tell me that one non-literate participant loved the illustrated manual we created so much she stayed up all night having her matriculate son read it to her. Or like kal, when a fulbright applicant from the nether regions of Balochistan tells me he wants to be a political journalist or a romantic fiction writer (a'la Paulo Coelho) and I look into his eyes and I know that he's going to get the chance to take another step towards his dream.

It's moments like these when I know - without a shadow of doubt - that I love what I do. I can go to sleep at night knowing no matter how tiny and insignificant it may be, I've made a difference. And that makes me happy :).

8 comments:

Ali said...

amazing good luck to everyone :))

Salman Latif said...

Great :)

ordered-chaos said...

assauge my curiousity but what is the criteria where FB is concerned?

OnLY OnE..! said...

that's truly awesome :)

Rabia said...

not that your on the 'inside' maybe you can find out why i keep getting refused! lol (im not a farmer thats for sure)

Xeb said...

A: Not really. Only to those people who deserved it methinks.

S: :)

o: It's a longish story. Can tell you closer to application time! :P

OO: :)

R: Haha, I'm on the inside for the wrong program. This was the community college one, it's not applicable for us.

ibteda said...

Hmmm... I want a fullbright too. Or anything that gets me outta here. ~sigh~

Xeb said...

i: Go for it! :P The only issue with FB is that you have to come back. *sigh*