January 25, 2010

I used to study socio-cultural power dynamics, once-upon-an-academic-bubble.

Now, I live them.

One would think that a masters degree in-all-this would facilitate successful navigation through complex social landscapes. But all it really does is equip analysis of what 'really' happened and why. And then, when it's all over, I can reflect on how inevitable what-happened was and how I-should-have-known-better. It occurs to me that while sifting through all this shit for bloody-thesis (remember that phase in my life?) was much-much fun, 'experience' is completely overrated.

I have discovered, my loves, that there IS such a thing as too much analysis. Also, I am the reigning queen of 'over-think'. Somebody make it stop, make it stop! Why didn't I just engage in a rational academic program such as finance or mathematical accounting (or some such). Atleast that way I wouldn't have to kick myself in the ass over-and-over and think: really Xeb, did you EXPECT the situation to be any different?

Sigh.

Oh, and also, Monday mornings doth sucketh. Much-ly.

15 comments:

Desert Mystery said...

Analysis and self examination are way better then a life of tedious boredom and slow death (ie finance or mathematical accounting)

Its true though, academia is way more fun then stupid real world...Why cant one be a professional student ala Van Wilder style? :P

Xeb said...

Oh one can! :P It's called the PhD and I am beginning to suspect it's my ultimate destiny! *hehe*

Anonymous said...

"make it stop"

you know the only answer to that, xeb, is: more maltesers! :-)

Xeb said...

True. Please mujhe laake do maltesers. Pretty Please!

Anonymous said...

hmm...would love to help out again, xeb, but what are the chances that the postman polishes them off before they get to you?

But okay, first promise me you'll vote for Zardari next time? lol :-)

Xeb said...

No deal. :P

Anonymous said...

Hmm...tough cookie. I see. Well, let no-one say we didn't give democracy a chance! :-)

okay, I'll see you and raise you a snickers.

ordered-chaos said...

I am perversely glad to 1) have a fellow sufferer 2) relieved to find that no training actually trains you for THIS!

Xeb said...

Haha, I suspect thats why I blog, and why most of you read my blog: because misery loves company.

S said...

err... mathematical accounting, xeb? As opposed to what, artistic accounting? (well, I guess wall st. and enron proved that such a field exists... :D)

Xeb said...

I don't you babe, but you get the point. Or maybe you don't. Come reside in the land-of-the-pure. You'll get the point.

:S

Deepak Iyer said...

@Xeb : Did you find your answer (as to how not to over-think) ?

Xeb said...

D: Nope. I'm still thinking about it! :P

Deepak Iyer said...

@Xeb : I am not sure if you are seriously looking for answers.
While it seems like the cure for excessive thinking is trying hard to not think, the answer is -- in my opinion -- learning to let go of some thoughts.
Eventually the thinking becomes optimal and efficient, and doesn't go on endlessly, pointlessly and excessively -- like Dan Brown prose.

Anonymous said...

Deepak, I think you're right..Nawaz Shariff is the Zen master of this technique of 'no-thought'. :-)