December 13, 2009



Xeb's Verdict: Two thumbs up! :)

Mommy & I, accompanied by aunt and cousin, went on a madcap journey to cineplex close to midnight yesterday. We'd been promising each other a 'movie-night' for over a month now, but we'd been plagued with awful luck where the showing always managed to be sold out whenever we made an appearance. A remedy known as 'advanced booking' cured this particular ailment, however in our enthusiasm (and to accommodate four time-tables) we chose the last show for the night, at 10:45pm. Inevitably (because it had been a long-long day) sleep hit us full on about 9:00pm and our enthusiasm for the movie (and mine for the long drive ahead) dimmed considerably. By 10:00-ish (which was when we left) we were seriously questioning the wisdom of dragging ourselves into the cold to watch a movie we frankly had no idea about.

Movie selection was totally random: my cousin wasn't too enthused about 2012, her vote was on New Moon. The mothers felt it was beneath their dignity to watch a 'vampire' movie (between you and me, I bet they'd change their mind had they previously come upon Edward Cullen) and I would not be caught dead actually paying good money to watch Katrina Kaif bimbo-it-up on screen a'la De Dana Dan. The only movie left up at ye-old-Cineplex was Rocket Singh: Salesman of the Year. Now I'm as vary as the next person (more so given recent experiences) of giving random Indian movies an audience until verified as watchable by sources I trust. That said, this was a pick-the-damn-movie-or-never-break-the-movie-night-curse moment, and the decision was made. Also, I've recently been somewhat charmed by Ranbir Kapoor (of Wake-up-Sid fame) and the fact that Katrina was gracing the other screen (and nowhere near this one) undoubtedly added to Rocket Singh's appeal.

So there you have it, four very sleepy women make their way to a movie theater fully expecting the movie to bomb (as most Indian films I've recently seen have done). Two-hours-something later we emerged completely refreshed incredibly charmed by this very off-the-wall, amusingly-humble flick. Ranbir Kapoor, aka Harpreet Singh (HP for short) plays a somewhat typical role of a just-out-of-college student in the very a-typical guise of a Sikh man (okay, given 'Singh is King' et al maybe not all that unheard of, but it's still not a common phenomenon). I'm not a fan (at all) of beards, or of turbans for that matter, but Ranbir manages to pull off the 'look' with a certain flair one has to give him credit for.

So I'm not a movie review-er, I'm just a story-teller. Was I of the former (as S & A are), I'd give you a more detailed account of the who's and the why's and the wherefore's of Rocket Singh's life as the Salesman of the Year. As it is, I don't want to spoil for you what was for me one of the nicer mommy-daughter outings of the season. I liked the movie (much), I liked the message (much-much) and I really like the way it's made. But don't take my word for it, go see it for yourself and let me know your verdict! :)

Ps: Tinseltowns People, a real review of this one may be called for! :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!!saad finally stars gets a mention in ur post. is this a sign of things to come?

Xeb said...

Err, Saad who?

Anonymous said...

i thought S=Saad Akhtar!

Xeb said...

I hate to disappoint you, but no.

Anonymous said...

HAW!

Xeb said...

Haha, nevermind. I'm bound to blog about Saad at some point in life, you can delight in it then. Till then keep reading. :)

Anonymous said...

u know what, i have been ur most loyal anonymous reader since u started blogging. i was there at the very beginning when ur blog was just another blog with no gravitas. I was also there when reading autumn leaves became all the rage in *ahem* certain circles. And I was there when u uploaded ur 'bucket list' that had marrying saad akhtar listed as the top priority in ur life. so hell yes it hurts when the outspoken xeb uncharacteristically ignores the 60-foot elephant in the room and flat out refuses to post about 'the breakup'.