December 4, 2009

Firangi friend: Hey! What's up? How's it going?

Err, what do I tell you? Should I talk about the latest bomb blast? The one in the Rawalpindi ki mosque during Friday prayers. Over forty people died in that one. Scores more wounded. Not to mention immense psychological damage to all and sundry. Or shall I tell you more 'intriguing' things like the current speculations as to who was responsible for the attack on the Chief Justices' life. The very same CJ whose currently sitting on a panel that calls for a final decision on the NRO or some such. Shall I tell you about how our government which has (very deservedly) been on the brink of toppling is always fortuitously saved by yet-another-crisis? Shall I tell you about how our Interior Minister (the infamous Mr. Malik) has been promising us that Blackwater has not been allowed to set foot inside Pakistan. He may be right, methinks they flew in! (Okay, okay, bad joke). But let's digress. Let me tell you about other things, like sky-high inflation and absence of sugar. Oh, lets also talk about how our President - on the eve of today's latest disaster - decided to 'call' and condemn the attack. I don't know where to begin really. Just like I don't know how to end. I don't know how to explain to you how desperate our situation is beginning to feel, how scared we are that this may just be the beginning of the end as far as our country is concerned. And I don't know how to convey to you - despite the levity - that for most of us Pakistan is the land we were born and raised. No matter what we say about her, Pakistan is where we live, where we belong. We love this country. And we don't want to lose her. We don't want her falling apart around us as we watch helplessly from the sidelines and - like rats on a sinking ship - scavenge as much as we can before deserting her for more developed shores. For a lot of us, Pakistan is 'it'. And if she is doomed, we're doomed with her.

Me: Not much. Busy with work for the most part :) You tell me. How're you doing?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

anybody has any ideas how to stop all this? im tired of thinking.

Anonymous said...

one of my friend's uni's graduate died in the blast and i just dont know what to say

Ali said...

Anon; that is not good at all. Not at all.

Lonely Perverted Soul said...

i know around 6 people who lost someone they know in this blast... I hate it...

Deepak Iyer said...

Things sound so helpless that I'm at loss for words.

ibteda said...

You know Zeb, I dont know why, but ISPR & the media has downplayed thsi blast.
People present in the hospitals told me that a hundred deadbodies were brougt in initially. Over 250 were injured.
My husband covered the blast subah say sham tak and he said there is no way it was only 4 people who were killed.
The new media policy not to show blood & gore and everything is much appreciated and all - but yesterday I realized that this policy is also a very easy way to let everyone misjudge the intensity of the attacks.
With a very organized list containing everyone's names with ranks and all - who is to say that more than twice that number died.

Desert Mystery said...

Technically the all truthful Mr. Malik speaks the truth...Blackwater has not been allowed to set foot inside Pakistan. The company is now called Xe Services LLC

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20091207/scahill