November 1, 2009

I honestly thought that returning to the motherland, moving to Islamabad would be a long, boring transition to adulthood. In some ways it truly is. Suddenly domestic servants occupy a larger chunk of discourse than they ever did. Finances are occasionally a worry. Living alone is most difficult when the shower breaks down, or the hot water stops coming and you have no one to yell to who'll go fix it for you. Maintaining a car involves having to know-enough about the vehicle to refer to people-who-know-more before a problem sets in. And I could mention about a hundred other pesky little (and-not-so-little-things) that make up the downside of this transition to the city-in-the-valley.

But this weekend, after a super-rushed crazy trip to the US Embassy to attend the-dinner-in-honor-of-le-secretary, a fabulously uninhibited dance-all-night Saturday at (among other parties) a club called 'majlis' (yes, the irony is still making me laugh), followed by a very lazy Sunday playing taboo in the grass at Lake-View Point, I realize that my 'life' may not have ended with my stint in Manhattan. I still don't know enough people in this city. I still have no guarantee if next weekend is going to be any good. But this weekend was amazing, and we in-the-land-of-the-pure have to learn to live for the moment. Na? :)

Right now, as I wait for a friend to come over for coffee, I realize that my life is full. And I'm incredibly grateful for that.

And most importantly, I finally - FINALLY - got to dance.

*hallelujah*

:D

11 comments:

sharbet said...

That's awesome! Don't you also think that the feeling of independence you get when you get the hang of doing those adult things right is great too? Have fun living your full life.

uglyduckling91 said...

I live here. We can frandship. ^_^

Lonely Perverted Soul said...

Sorry didnt have that good of a weekend....

Annie said...

oh you were at the Masquerade too :D

We might have passed each other or there's a fair chance you were one of the people I bumped into on that teeny-excuse-for-a-dance-floor?...

Xeb said...

s: Yes it is :)

ud: :)

LPS: How come?

A: Probably! :P That dance floor was ridiculously tiny!

mehreenkasana said...

Glad you're enjoying. :H

Desert Mystery said...

Congrats on the dancing!

Majlis...*hehe*

Lonely Perverted Soul said...

Coz was up all nite on saturday...turning back the clocks on all the machines..

the sheikh said...

Islamabad has a club? What kinda club?

Saad said...

i'm back next weekend!!!

Xeb said...

M: :)

DM: Thanks! :P

LPS: Poor you!

ts: Apparently Isb has more than one. And it's also the only city in this country when you walk out and the police are standing there and you think oh-fuck except they just stand there and smile at you. It's a surreal kind of experience.

S: *yay* More party?!