October 8, 2009

This morning the attack came before I rolled out of bed. An aunt called me with the ‘good news’ of N’s mangni. I expressed exuberant delight, wishing her happy etc etc. She also broke to me the ‘sad news’ that M had found someone else to lavish his affections on. ‘Wonderful’, say I, ‘everyone is happy’. ‘Almost everyone’ says she. ‘How so?’ Ask I. ‘Your mother is not’, she says. ‘Did she say anything?’ I Ask. ‘She didn’t have to’, she says. ‘Err, okay’. Say I. ‘But think’, she says, ‘don’t you want to get married? Want a husband? Kids? A settled life? A happy future?’ ‘Err, I don’t want to become an old, unhappy spinster with no one to depend on. No.’ Say I. ‘Then get married’, she says. ‘Err, to whom?’ say I. And the discussion comes to an unhappy halt while both of us independently reflect, rather sadly, on the current paucity of suitors. ‘Don’t worry’, says she, ‘someone is bound to turn up’. ‘I hope so’, say I. ‘You know darling, you shouldn’t have turned him down’, says she. ‘Maybe not’, say I. ‘Just promise you’ll say yes now’ She says. Even though I have no clue who-or-what I’m supposed to be saying ‘yes’ to, the guilt weighing me down leaves me with no other choice: ‘I promise’ say I.

Good ‘mourning’ world.

*sigh*

7 comments:

Lonely Perverted Soul said...

This is bad.... *sigh*.. life is so weird...

Aneela Z said...

i would say threaten to do the umrao jan (zeba wala...see almost your namesake) mujra Jo Bacha Hai Aaj Lutaney Akhree Naach on M's mangni...that will shut them up.

Xeb said...

LPS: It is, it is.

A: Kaunsa wala? Youtube link please! :)

brok3n said...

Greys Anatomy. Greys Anatomy.
and yea...say Yes next time ........if you have to ^.^

Xeb said...

b:I hear you. When's the next episode?

Deepak Iyer said...

Uh oh .. I kinda feel sorry for you. Really.

Xeb said...

D: I kinda feel sorry for me too. Really. :P