October 15, 2009

The Serena seems to be a hotbed of political intrigue. Not-that-I-would-know, given now uninitiated I am to the ways-and-means-if-international-spying, but it's difficult to miss an uncanny number of goras (and other assorted firangis) hanging around here and there. I've been told by someone-in-the-know that they be our friendly Amreeki intelligence friends. Were one to believe this someone (and frankly one does not know who or what to believe anymore, but one perseveres nevertheless) then right behind the Amreeki intelligence comes the home grown variety all set to keep an eye on them (and improve Serena's business in the process). Add to this friendly mixture an assortment of army, navy, airforce (yes my loves, it seems they're all here) staff and you can see perhaps why the security around the hotel runs so tight it takes ten years to get in and out of this place. It feels kind of cool (in a somewhat scary way) to be staying at Serena aaj kal. On one hand I feel like I'm standing around with a big 'x' on my head. It stands to reason any randomly-seeking missile from the enemy-side would (if it had any idea of potential impact) find it's way here. On the other hand I suspect years from now I can turn around and tell the world (or anyone who is interested) that 'I-was-there-when'. I can see why reporters (and other assorted crazy media-people) gravitate towards warzones. There is this strange kind of thrill in knowing that target killings are on the rise (it seems that they're after the evil NGO people who-would-have-thunk-it?), and war seems to be somewhat imminent, and there you are standing right smack in the middle of all this craziness. Not that I won't be glad to get back to Islamabad at the end of the week, but still. :)

4 comments:

Deepak Iyer said...

What exactly are you doing there anyway ??

Xeb said...

I'm in Quetta for a project, the Serena is the 'safest' place to stay! :P Unfortunately the choice of lodging in Quetta is Serena is somewhat limited.

Deepak Iyer said...

Ok if you do see a missile coming towards you.. I am expecting you'll write one last post .. "F*ck !" [:D]

Okay sorry, be safe.

Xeb said...

Hahaha! Something of the sort occurred to me too! :P I can't promise, but I shall definitely try!