October 2, 2009


BusinessPundit tells me this morning that:


Johns Hopkins scientist Constantin Fahlberg discovered saccharin while experimenting on toluene derivatives, normally found in coal tar. When Fahlberg found that a residue from his experiments tasted sweet, he devoted more time to researching it. He later patented the substance and named it saccharin. Saccharin was introduced as a food additive in the US in 1900. It gained more traction as a sugar substitute during WWI, when sugar was rationed. Now, it is most popularly known as Sweet N’ Low.

I haven't had 'real' sugar in my system in a long-long time. My sweet-tooth is satisfied mostly with sweeteners of the above and other assorted varieties. I figure the only way to (quite-literally) eat the cake I have is to cut the calories somehow. And this seemed like an easy way to do it.

But, err, Coal Tar?

3 comments:

Desert Mystery said...

If you think that's bad, check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-fructose_corn_syrup

shotgunfacelift said...

So you're saying you've gone low carb for a long long time? That's bad, man. You need your carbs innit.

Xeb said...

DM: I know all about the big bad world of high-fructose-corn-syrup. But the coal thing is highly annoying.

sgfl: Welcome to my world. Low carbs, low fat, low everything. Except when I have cravings ofcourse. Then the urge to be hedonistic trumps all further concerns! :P