August 1, 2009

I'm living in a bordello, along the upper mall in Lahore. The hotel I've been priviledged with for the next two weeks is, err, interesting. My trainers and I regularly encounter women of the painted kind when we stay up late to make charts. Incidentally, for-those-of-you-who-need-this-sort-of-information I'm here to oversee the implementation of enterprise trainings for community midwives that are being conducted by the trainers we trained last week. As you enter the hotel, (which is typically gaudy in a golden, ostentatious kind of way Lahoris would know very well) the thing that would 'have' to strike you would be the number of large ceramic figurines in Grecian, Roman and whichever-other-random-era-you-can-think-of style tucked away in every nook and cranny. If you were anything like me, you'd wonder why they felt the need to clutter every single available space with a statue or two or ten. And then, once you really 'looked' at the statuettes, you wouldn't be able to help but wonder anything other why in heaven's name every single statue was of one (or more) scantily clad women daintily holding their clothes up with a hand, or simpering under the attention of a man looking down at her with distinctly non-platonic interest. The effect created by the stuatues is compounded by garish paintings along the hotel lobby and corridors of women who look like they'd be right at home in the city's famous 'diamond market'. In my room, the wall proudly displays framed photographs of heavily made-up women who, it seems, may be yet another item on the hotel room service menu. Given all that, it seemed distinctly creepy-to-me this evening, when I got back to my room to fnd rose petals strewn across my bed! :P

7 comments:

brok3n said...

rose petals =| ...
Umm... I love Lahore.

Xeb said...

Haha I do too! :P The post was meant in no way to denigrate the city. This hotel is interesting too! I just wish they'd tone down the objectification of women element. Incidentally, the food is here is really really good! :P

But yes, rose petals! *hehe*

Deepak Iyer said...

WTH !

I thought that was only done in lame hotels for their special "honeymoon suites".

Xeb said...

Me too. But it seems that the 'Crown Suite', which is apparently the most expensive room in this silly hotel (or so they assure me) is also deserving of this most speyshul treatment! :P

Deepak Iyer said...

Ok quick question. So what does one do when one finds rose petals all over the bed ?

Do you jump hop on the bed and lie amidst the pesticide strewn petals or do you put your sleep on hold to sit around cleaning your sheets ?

Xeb said...

Well, you first hop on the bed and lie down on the rose petals because it feels quite deliciously decadent, somehow. Then you remember the threat of pesticides, insects and skin allergies and you brush them off the bed to the floor where they remain until housekeeping comes and sweeps them off the next morning. :P

brok3n said...

Food....ah....M.M Alam Road. Enough said.