August 18, 2009

For the last month I was working with community mid-wives from the rural boondocks of Punjab. From the random-seedy hotel in Lahore I observed groups after groups of fifty-odd women teetering on perilously high heels, dressed in their glitzy best, giggling away with their friends while we struggling to bring basic business concepts into their world-view. From now till the next time I shift focus, I work with provincial ministers and government department secretaries and patiently observe them reciting speeches written by thier faithful chotas and tolerate their incessant phone-conversations-that-really-aren't-necessary while we struggle to talk to them about the earth-shattering-importance-of-women-development.


What I love about most-est my job – no matter how much I complain about the fucked-everything-else-but-work hours – is the sheer wonderful unpredictability~! As for Islamabad, I still haven't ventured in to the city and chances are I won't get to see much of it until Saturday when I finally make my way that-a-way to look for a place to live! :)

7 comments:

brok3n said...

Islamabad is boring =|

Jaded said...

As an Islooite, am forced to say it's not exactly boring when you get used to the limited-ness of the city but for me it's home..

If you need help in the house-hunting department, drop me a mail with the requirements and I'll try to give you any help I can.. Take care

Desert Mystery said...

I know what you mean about dealing with our wonderful provincial ministers and GOP secretaries who care about everything in the world except for the really important stuff. I deal with them in Sindh, which from what I have experienced is 10 times worse then their counterparts in Punjab.

Islamabad is so boring. I think everything shuts down at like...6 in the evening :P

Xeb said...

B: But darling, 'I' has arrived. Islamabad (once I finally get there) will be boring no more! *hehe*

J: Thank you for the offer! :)

DM: I be really curious now, what be it that you do? Email me: xainabk@gmail.com. We can trade stories of mutual minister-ing! :P

ibteda said...

I used to find Isloo boring - but it grows on you in no time. I've beenhere a year and a half only, and truthfully, teh only thing I miss about Karachi is family and friends (and knowing the city ofcourse)

M. said...

if you need to know abt darzis/hair straightner fix-it guys/embroidery walas...ask away. we've exchanged towns it seems

Xeb said...

Will do! :) How come you've moved to Khi?