July 3, 2009




Wisdom a'la Hugh :)


----


and on that note, let me proudly present: S's guest appearance no. 2:

The ecomininical crisis, and other fun stuff to discuss during the hunting trip...

The current economic crisis has exposed, or so we are led to believe, several cracks in the world's largest and most powerful economy (No, we are not talking about China). But another thing it has served to highlight is a subtler, more dangerous and far more fundamental problem plaguing modern America - Ignorance. The ignorance of the average American is startling, and would be hilarious, if it were not so appalling. Granted, most non-Americans are equally clueless about anything going on outside the realm of their street corner, but then again, they don't elect the self-proclaimed leader of the free world now, do they? I don't know about you, but I think the people of Namibia can afford to be a lot more ignorant and asinine. They don't elect the leaders who will, whether or not they like it, steer the human race towards its untimely, unseemly and inevitable end, Americans do. And to hear them talk about the state of their own nation, one would think the government mixes something in the water.

American political thought is curiously shaped by two very strong factions of the media - The multifarious pundits, commentators, journalists and other members of the 'News media' on the one hand, and Comedy Central on the other. And very often, it is hard to figure out which side is actually delivering the facts. Anyone who has seen Bill O'Reilly rant on about whatever the voices in his head are feeding him will agree that when a raving mad man like that becomes the #1 rated talk show host on cable TV, there is something wrong with the nation. Oh, but you don't watch Bill O'Reilly, right? I can tell because you are actually reading this (seriously, I wonder who I am talking to here), so you obviously chose this blog over pictures of naked women draped in the American flag doing disturbing things with handguns. So you probably listen to the voice of reason, right? May be a little Anderson Cooper? Yeah, he's the poster boy of informed, thoughtful journalism. And, if I remember correctly, he is also one of the several such educated, informed and thoughtful journalists who questioned whether Obama's fist bump with his wife was a terrorist 'fist jab'. Because that is what terrorists do. They plant a half-black, Christian, peace loving guy from Hawaii into the Democratic party, nurture and finance his rise to senator and then presidential nominee, turn him into a beacon of hope and change, and then tell him to blow his cover on national television so that they can have a good laugh about it at Osama's next weekend barbecue (Heyyyy... I think I may be on to something here... Osama... Obama.. Sounds fishy).

Really? This is national news? So you're telling me, that in this day and age, with strife in the middle east, a tanking economy, rising inflation, surging unemployment and hundreds of thousands of cats stuck in trees, some stupid fist bump makes it to national news, including that hallowed ground of political punditry - Wolff Blitzer's situation room? Now you might think I am ranting against the American public. Well, I forgive you for making that mistake (I'm a generous guy). But the Americans are obviously not a stupid people. If they were, they would not have become the defacto rulers of the world within the short span of the last century. But every empire in history has been built by nurturing smart people during the growth phase and dumbing down subsequent generations once the job is done. The Romans used the coliseums and gladiatorial battles, the American ruling class uses television.

We, the idiots, are the subdued sheep that fuel this empire. We, the consumers, consume everything we covet, and we consume it like there's no tomorrow. When we face shortages, like obedient sheep, we turn to our masters and ask for more. You may wonder if the crazy, unemployed hick standing next to his 4 ton truck telling CNN that "The government needs to make sure we get cheap gas, free guns and easy mortgages... Environmentalists, pacifists and economists can suck my d***!" is hardly the kind of person you would call "a sheep", but then again, isn't he? Is he doing anything about the gas crunch? Is he borrowing less or driving less? No, he is looking to his masters and overlords to get him through this. He is merely a sheep that bleats louder than the others, so that his needs are met first.

So that is what we are, one big transcontinental herd of bleating, ignorant sheep being herded towards a thousand foot cliff by short-sighted, greedy baboons, and the only reason we aren't questioning why the ground simply falls off into oblivion a few feet away is that we are too busy smelling each other's farts and discussing the government's failure to tackle climate change. And in case you're about to ask me why I rant and refuse to do anything about it, it's because I, just like every other intellectually developed individual on this planet, has learned that it is much easier to just sit around blogging about my feelings and leave it to my kids to deal with the shit that I am flinging up at the ceiling fan.

I forgot where I was going with this, by the way, so I'll just stop. The Colbert Report is on in 5 minutes...

- S

8 comments:

Xeb said...

"American political thought is curiously shaped by two very strong factions of the media - The multifarious pundits, commentators, journalists and other members of the 'News media' on the one hand, and Comedy Central on the other. And very often, it is hard to figure out which side is actually delivering the facts."

True-er words were never spoken! :P Amreekans, I have witnessed, are ridiculously TV obsessed. And some of the drivel I have been forced to watch on Fox News (forced I say because it was often playing in the gym while I treadmilled) reinforces the importance of never-ever-ever-EVER taking American media too seriously. Or else. And the same, as recent events have proved, can be said of Pakistani media. Or any media.

I say stick to reading blogs, and believing everything THEY say! :P Far safer than CNN. Trust me! I'm a blogger ;)

Ubaid said...

why did you commented on your own post :p

and oh yeah loved the picture :D ....

but you don't whine even half as much i do ;)

Xeb said...

Because for all intents and purposes this isn't 'my' post, it's S's.

Desert Mystery said...

I fully agree with this post. Having lived most of my life amongst Amreekans, I found those Americanus Domesticus (yes they are seperate sub-species) who watch Faux News the most ignorant of all people on earth. Seriously, my subziwala knows more about world events then the O'Reilly crowd.

S said...

Just struck me... I wrote this almost a year ago, and it still reads like it was written yesterday... How little things change...

Also, since then, I've been introduced to a 'pundit' whose rabid intolerance, ignorant rambling and batshit insane opinions put the craziest of the O'Reilly/Glen Beck crowd to shame... Ladies and gentlemen, I give you... Rush Limbaugh...

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com

(And you're forgiven for thinking this is a parody site... but its real.)

Xeb said...

Woah. I just checked it out. And, Woah! :P

Deepak Iyer said...

@Xeb : Well, readers will just go check out the archives.

Xeb said...

D: I 'wish' my readers were that dedicated! :P