July 21, 2009

"incase you didnt realize the roads were inundated with water and the poor fellows who had to drive to their destinations had to bear water inside their cars and outside for more than 3 hours. stop being so cranky about everything. its good the PIA KA AMLA arrived at the airport at least. god, go back to US if you have to. whatever to you and all those assholes who just can't appreciate anything about their country because they spent two years in a firangi mulk and talk with an accent that looks so made up and think by complaining and whining about the situation they are being exactly how they should be: FIRANGI. please go back. because this country is developing slowly, yet steadily and if you can't take this development please go back to your first world country. this 60 year old land is too young for you."

- 'Anonymous' commenter to the previous post


Dear Anonymous,


I wish, I really do, that you would write a name (even an assumed one) when you decide to critisize my opinions, values and lifestyle because I - surprisingly - really do like to know who I'd be addressing when I reply to your complaints. I understand that you may be a complete coward, but I promise you that owning up to your own opinions will get you into no trouble on a blog that wholly believes in freedom of expression.


Baseless allegations on the other hand, darling, are a completely different story.


So let's hear what you're saying.


"incase you didnt realize the roads were inundated with water and the poor fellows who had to drive to their destinations had to bear water inside their cars and outside for more than 3 hours."


I wonder if you're of the opinion I flew to the airport? My car was as inundated with water and my brother (who was driving) had as tough a time battling the flooded roads as anyone else. In case YOU don't realize, my flight was at 7:00am. The crew, who were staying at the Marriot, were called at 5:30 and told their flight - which incidentally was sitting at the hanger - was delayed and that they would be notified when the PIA van would be sent to pick them up. It may surprise you to know that the route to the airport is roughly the same. Then again, since you know everything there is to know about me, perhaps nothing would surprise you. Omniscience is an enviable quality, maybe you and the deity can have a little talk sometime and share notes on everything that is happening. Speaking of sharing notes, you may also know (because-you-know-abso-fucking-lutely-everything) that ALL the passengers for this flight were at the airport because NONE of them had been informed that the flight was delayed. The call centers persistently informed all of us that the flight was on time and would take off at 7:00am. I was NOT the only passenger who almost had a car accident because they were speeding to make their early morning flight.


Oh yes, three hours is a long-long time. But, err, so is 12. My mathematical knowledge is not the most brilliant on the planet, but I do believe that 12 is more than 3. Possibly. Maybe. I would appreciate if you would desist in using incomparable equations while justifying your baseless rant. Really. Thank you.


"stop being so cranky about everything. its good the PIA KA AMLA arrived at the airport at least"


I wish you were at the airport with me darling, because I would have loved to see how chirpy you would be after a local flight that felt like an international journey. It would be fabulous to find a single person who UNDERSTOOD why passengers paying to take this flight are subject to airline whimsy. You would also be able to smilingly tell us why PIA refused to let those of us with no hand-baggage change our carriers so we could make it to Islamabad in time for important meetings (because people LIKE getting up obscenely early on a Sunday morning to take a 7:00am flight to their destinations for no reason whatsoever). You may also like to justify why this made perfect sense despite the fact that empty seats in both economy-plus and business class were available on the PIA flight to Islamabad that took off before us. Naturally, it defies belief that the airlines would actually feel the need compensate for their passengers' inconvenience. And the fact that they also managed to misplace a dead body by putting it in one plane, and the grieving family on another is also something you would view as 'perfectly understandable'. I assume the departed soul of the delayed corpse was also fervently thanking the diety for giving him this one last opportunity to experience PIA incompetence.


Let me tell you something you witless fool. When people start ACCEPTING every time they're treated like shit (as people such as you invariably do) they get subsequently treat like shit some more. SURPRISE!


And for the record, I'm not merely 'being cranky', I'm assuredly presenting a complaint. And I'm complaining because I have decided (you may disagree) that, as someone who paid for an overpriced PIA ticket to take this flight at a particular time, the airline IS obligated to ensure that I an not inconvenienced any more than absolutely necessary. And let me tell you, this was NOT necessary. This was just stupidity, and bad planning. And a complete and utter disregard for anyone aside from the captain and the crew. You would pipe up (because-you-probably-like-sucking-up-to-people-in-general) that who else matters. I would unequivocally reply: I DO.


"god, go back to US if you have to. whatever to you and all those assholes who just can't appreciate anything about their country because they spent two years in a firangi mulk and talk with an accent that looks so made up and think by complaining and whining about the situation they are being exactly how they should be: FIRANGI."


Darling, my passport (to-my-regret-every-time-I'm-subjected-to-extra-airport-security) is as green as yours (assuming-you're-not-an-Indian-in-disguise-ofcourse). If you must appeal to the diety on my behalf, then please also pray for a little bit of help with your grammar. I would really appreciate, the next time you leave a comment, if your utter and complete disregard for the rules of capitalization didn't make me cringe. You will, ofcourse, point out here that it is my obsession for an association with a firangi mulk that makes me comment on your grammar. It's possible. Or it could just be that I dislike it when people mutilate languages at their convenience. I think they look terribly gauche. In language you may understand 'pliss to be avoiding this pliss'. But back to the point.


Not to brag, but I wonder if you know what I do for a living? I spend my professional life working with people - often semi-literate, occasionally illiterate, and usually from rural areas - helping them move from point 'a' to point 'b' in order to achieve set objectives. I refuse to use the word 'developed' here because I don't particularly like it, that said, I work to build grassroots capacity across the country. I have spoken with, listened to and worked with more 'average Pakistanis' than you - and other misguided-idiots-who-decide-to-excuse-our-inadequacies-as-inevitable have ever met. Please. Get a life. And burst your idealistic bubble. Then maybe you'll be a position to 'contribute' instead of disliking people who point out weaknesses in our system that ABSOLUTELY do exist.


Oh and for the record: I have an accent, I'm told it's Pakistani. I like it. Also, I did spend two years in the US. I liked that too. I have returned to Pakistan to find that the country has DESCENDED (I assert - very loudly - that the situation was different earlier) into chaos. And I dislike that. IF you - or any other assholes-like-you-who-have-never-been-out-of-the-country-in-their-lives-and-therefore-are-convinced-that-all-criticism-is-evil dislike my dislike, too-fucking-bad.


"please go back. because this country is developing slowly, yet steadily and if you can't take this development please go back to your first world country. this 60 year old land is too young for you."


Err, I hate to do this to you lovely, but we're not developing. We're consistently 'under-developing'. Regressing even, if you will. There is a lot about the 'first world' that I don't necessarily agree with, but there is also much to be learned. I wish you'd take off your blinders, and UNDERSTAND that sad-ass excuses are unacceptable. We need to make a change, so that all our lives can be improved. Making excuses for yourself and your 'sixty-year-YOUNG' country will not help your cause. That's like telling a small child with the flu that he's destined to remain an invalid forever and therefore entitled to everyone's sympathy, and really, there's no need to get out of bed to help himself. Stop stiffling your - and your country's - potential with your complete and utter non-understanding of the concept (and reality) of development.

Oh, and the next time you leave a comment on my blog, be a (wo)man. Give me a name.

13 comments:

heewa said...

can i give you a hug? :D cause right now, i totally want to :D

Ali said...

haha.. poor guy/girl :P can i copy it please ^^

Desert Mystery said...

Its better to not pay any attention to the anonymous commenter. Maybe its Lord Voldemort cohorts or people who share a similar metality who never want to question anything. After all they did say they will monitor the whole web and every sms in Pakistan to look out of for those who critisize anything in the Kingdom :P

Xeb said...

H: You most definitely can! :)

A: Yes you may, but where do you intend to copy it?

DM: Haha, so they did. And I suppose if I disappear into the Hogwartian abyss never to be seen again, you should definitely keep an eye out for 'anonymous' here. S/he probably orchestrated it! ;)

anonymou...S said...

Hey, atleast the comment didn't read - "Your shame on our gr8 nashun (or mulk, coz that seems to be his word of the day). why u didnt cumplane when ur firangi flight is delay in an america airport? coz yor like to make fun on yor cuontry as it is :cool'..."

Also, let me point out - "Darling, my passport (to-my-regret-every-time-I'm-subjected-to-extra-airport-security) is as green as yours (assuming-you're-not-an-Indian-in-disguise-ofcourse)."

Underhanded snipes at your friendly neighbors are much unappreciated... On behalf of my fellow men and women, I register a strong-worded protest in the spirit of traditional Indian diplomacy...

And just to piss you off, this comment shall be anonymous...

fish said...

This is totally unrelated to the post but I was just curious about something.

Why "Xeb" instead of "Zeb"?

Seriously, I'm just curious.

(This is my first time here and I love the blog, btw)

Ali said...

i intend to copy the constructive criticism part, to good use :)

Xeb said...

anonymou...S: Five words, "I. Know. Who. You. Are" ;) And yes, perhaps the dig at our Indian friends was a little unfair. My apologies! :P

Fish: Welcome. And I prefer an X to a Z, no particular reason. Xeb, in fact, has always been spelled that way, ever since I was err, given the nickname a long long time ago! :)

Ali: Good luck! :)

Deepak Iyer said...

@Xeb : You just fell into the trap of a troll :)

And I am pretty sure this person's US visa was rejected, just like Zaid Hamid.

Btw, is critisize an accepted spelling ? Just curious.

Anonymous said...

oh wow, a post dedicated solely to me. love it. i'll reply to (and read) this so lovingly long post later. i do understand you have plenty of time to rant about everything you hate, but right now i have to go hide under my table cause you totally made me so scared -and- cause i'm such a coward. so please, proceed with your hating and ranting while i hide my face in public.

Deepak Iyer said...

@Xeb : Oh and the previous comment reminds me. I also apologize for convincing you to enable anonymous commenting [:)]

Xeb said...

D: Troll indeed. And I agree. His visa was probably rejected. Or he has relatives in Guantanamo. Either way, he needs to tone down the animosity in favor of sense methinks.

And no, I believe my spelling is a tad off. But since you're around to play editor, I don't have to worry about things like that do I? :P *hehe*

Also, I'm glad you (finally) understand why anonymous commenting was off before! :P

Deepak Iyer said...

Yes, you can count on me for that. Spellings are the only way I am going to beat you at English, thanks to my spell-checker [:)].