June 23, 2009

I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble here. Well, I am, but not in a mean or spiteful way. I'm just wondering - in a genuinely perplexed manner - why all my well-meaning friends out there just happily assume that one T-20 victory is indicative of Pakistan's salvation. I understand all that excitement about a trophy (after too-too many cricketing disasters) finally heading this-a-way, but I wonder why a victory at a game of bat-and-ball is going to save this country from the collective evils of a sliding economy, impending energy crisis and the threat of talibanization? I hate to do this to all those who desperately hang on to their optimism, but the sad truth is that even if we celebrated as a 'whole' for the Pakistan cricket team, we did not become magically wedded to the concept of being 'Pakistani'. Two hours of patriotism does not mean that we became any more politically aware, or inclined towards doing away with idiots in governance. De facto, NOTHING has changed. Except we're now going to be a little more inclined to watch cricket than we have been for the past 17 years. But that's about it methinks.

6 comments:

Ubaid said...

you just can't see people happy naah =/


j/k ... yaar its just that in the time of sorrow people are actually happy... which is good, lets leave other things just for a moment!!

humairahumaira said...

I disagree. I cant think of any smart points to advocate my answer, but I disagree.

Lonely Perverted Soul said...

Think of it as a feel good feeling.... Its nothing practical but psychologically its good...

leaving1302 said...

hmm i dont think its salvation...i think its the inkling there there COULD be salvation. :) its that hope inside that flares into being with the tiniest of possibilities. true nothing HAS changed- but because o fthe win, we are back to thinking that it doesnt mean it cant. simple. but complicated.

mehreenkasana said...

I'm with you on this.

BeKn|GhTeD said...

me agrees. Although you must admit for a moment it did seem like salvation. But alas, we are too smart to fall for the illusion most other have embraced so wholeheartedly and have become happier because of it. Ignorance truly is bliss.