June 25, 2009

Good morning lovelies! :) For the first time since I've landed here, perennial jetlag has allowed me to wake up without a headache coupled with foreboding of bad things to come. Waking up at 6:00am all by oneself (even though that was preceded by falling asleep at 6:30pm the previous day) is a blessing because it gives one some uninturrupted time to just 'be' and to have chai with mommy on the dining table before the battalion of servants starts coming in one-by-one demanding to know what-to-do-today. As much of a boon as servants are (I'm not fond of housework, no), they're also a headache. On some days more like a migraine. But since today is a good day, today we will dispense with servant-inspired-rants in favor of other things.

It occurs to me that almost every week one US senator or the other is holding a press conference 'apologizing' for an affair. Given the Clinton debacle, perhaps the dominant philosophy is apologize-most-fervently-before-they-impeach-you. The fear of being scorned by the public does not, however, seem to convince these senators of the wisdom of keeping it in their pants. Or failing that utilizing the services of their ever devoted wives. A segue here: have you noticed how the politician's wife post his public apology is always dignified - calm and well made-up with emphasis on puppy-dog-weepy eyes - even as she tells the public how much she 'still' loves her husband who is a good-man-led-astray - as good men often are. Because, you and I both know, that in the wonderful-world-of-men a woman is truly 'dignified' if she stands by her man (fidelity aside) and she does not rail at him like the proverbial fish-wife (unless she is one) in public. A dignified woman can't run after her faithless spouse with a carving knife threatening to castrate him. Nor can she show him the finger, divorce him, take his money and keep his children. Instead she needs to be willing to overlook a week of hedonistic adultery in Argentina and graciously forgive her husband because of his devotion to the public. Translated: He may be slime, but he is good slime. He may have cheated on me, but his heart has always been pure. He may have run off to Argentina for a week to cavort with his mistress, but I love him anyway. And we criticize bollywood movies for their unlikely exaggerations. Chalk up one more double standard for the glorious West please.

13 comments:

Deepak Iyer said...

I so much more liked the naked hiking on the Appalachian trail story.

Ubaid said...

so you are finally started to LIVE ;)

OnLY OnE..! said...

check this out - I was going to blog about it...but it goes with this post as well kinda

http://www.ashleymadison.com/

Xeb said...

Deepak: What naked hiking story? Do tell!

Ubaid: :)

Only: Apparently I can't access the site because of my location! $##@ What say it?

Deepak Iyer said...

@Xeb : May I recommend this post of mine ? :
http://iyerdeepak.wordpress.com/2009/06/24/the-saga-of-mark-sanford/

Deepak Iyer said...

Have you enabled moderation for comments ?
Why so moderous ?

Xeb said...

Deepak: I love your post! :D I had no idea about the going missing thing, but I read his wife's statement first thing in the morning and the post resulted from it. About the moderation thing, people can now comment on my posts anonymously and word verification is now switched off. Moderation is my single (remaining) attempt at some sort of control! :P

Deepak Iyer said...

@Xeb : Shukriya.
About moderation, you can always delete the ones you don't want later, right ? Moderation just bottlenecks all conversations at your end.

Xeb said...

Deepak: I have now removed all forms of comment control. The OCD'd control freak inside me is going hysterical! :P

Deepak Iyer said...

@Xeb : Thank you for the live technical support. You Indian by any chance ? [:)]

Btw, for spam comments, does blogger have a spam detector ? Wordpress usually does that very well for me. A little too well, in fact, as you might agree [:D]

Xeb said...

No Deepak, I'm Pakistani as you very well know! :P And blogger has word verification instead of a spam detector. If I get any spam (real spam, not an excuse to discriminate courtesy Wordpress) I'll switch it on.

Deepak Iyer said...

Oh the comment was for the tech support. Of course I know you are Pakistani, you like Mr. Bachchan.

OnLY OnE..! said...

It's this agency basically that is for MARRIED people to find people discreetly. Online dating website but for legally attached people.

What has the world come to?

It makes sense why it would be blocked at your location :|