June 24, 2009

BBC News takes one minute to tell us about "Dozen's Dead in US Drone Strike", highlighting that "at least 45 people have died in a missile strike by a US drone aircraft in Pakistan, officials there have said." The incredible irony is that "The people killed in South Waziristan region had been attending a funeral for others killed in a US drone strike earlier on Tuesday".

As I point out to S, appreciating dark humor is not everyone's cup of tea. But those that do share a penchant for morbid jokes will understand why even as we commisserate the tragedy, we appreciate the tragi-comic irony.

4 comments:

itsagradmadsadworld said...

You mean tragic irony, right?

Also, Re: Bashira in trouble - I couldn't help but crack up when someone inexplicably felt a jolt of national pride post video and wrote "Pakistan Zindabad!"

Very confusing rhetoric for a non-native...

Desert Mystery said...

First time visitor to your blog. I was looking throughout the blogosphere to see if anyone had blogged on the conditions at Karachi airport during the great blackout. I must say your post is probably the best one out there, as your description of the situation was so spot on.

Xeb said...

itsagradmadsadworld: No, I mean comic irony. And I know humor this morbid and/or dark is not everyone's cup of tea! :)

Desert: Welcome! :) And thank you! I've submitted an edited and refined version of that post to TGK for this month's issue. If they accept it, and it gets published, I shall let you know! :)

Lonely Perverted Soul said...

Life is ironic....