May 29, 2009

I sometimes wonder if I have what it takes to kill a man. To look into someone’s eyes, knowing full well that a minute later those eyes will see no more. To point a gun at a beating chest and pull the trigger, knowing that seconds later this-being-that-once-existed, will exist no more. I wonder if I have what it takes to be capable of an act of ultimate violence, to carry forward a death sentence.

Then I close my eyes and picture the man who shot, and killed, my father.

And I know, in that moment that I am very-very capable. I am capable of relishing violence and then, going to bed and – perhaps – sleeping better than I have in the past year. I would kill a man for vengeance, I could look into his eyes and see nothing more than a walking corpse responsible for destroying our lives with a senseless act of greed. And even as I pull the trigger, I may even be cognizant of the fact that my act may destroy someone else’s lives, the way his act destroyed mine. But I know that I would not care. If I met him today, this particular man, I would kill him. And then walk away smiling.

4 comments:

Gigi said...

I am so sorry that you had to go through this.I truly admire you for your courage.

Thanks for visiting my blog.Lets touch base. Have a safe flight.

Deepak Iyer said...

Gulp ..

Really sorry to hear about this.

Marina said...

This to tell you I read, I felt and I would stand by you for doing it.

AD said...

:')
i just dont know what to say.