Xeb's 15-Step Formula for Recovery from Romantic Disasters
- Find your friends. Tell them the story. Notice how it keeps getting funnier with each re-telling. Laugh
- Go for an impromptu trip out of town with friends who make you smile. Smile.
- Look at the sea. Promise yourself a lazy, lazy beach trip as soon as the weather improves. Plan.
- Immerse yourself in lots of bling-bling and the unadulterated, gaudy glamor of sparkling, colorful casinos. Look at rooms, after rooms of sheer decadence. Enjoy.
- Try your hand at roulette (the non-Russian kind). Win and realize your luck may not be as bad as you think. Reflect.
- Buy half-a-pound of sour-sugar-candy from a store where you can make your own candy bag by digging into barrels of different sugary sweets. Experience the joys of a sugar-high as you walk along the wooden boardwalk arm-in-arm with friends you love. Feel at peace.
- Play real poker with real people, and real money, on real tables, in a real casino, like a real gambler. Be thrilled. Lose. Realize the cliche suddenly makes sense: it's not about winning or losing, it's really all about how you play the game. Feel content.
(On a side note, realize also that virtual is usually always bogus. Without the sensory reality of 'life'in the equation, no major decisions should ever be made. Feel a little stupid.)
- Eat greasy, cheesy, yummy french fries in freezing weather huddled in the dubious shelter of a revolving door. Feel silly.
- Enjoy a full-body massage delivered by a professional masseuse at a body-therapy clinic. Feel relaxed.
- Eat good, good food. Feel happy.
- Walk across Manhattan in borrowed socks lent to you by your (now-sockless) friend because your shoes make your feet hurt, and it's too cold to go barefoot. Feel loved.
- Be part of the audience for America's Got Talent. Realized, America really does have talent. But so do you. Feel motivated.
- Bond, over a meal far-far overdue, with a friend. Feel positive.
- Go shopping. Buy something beautiful, impractical and expensive to wear. Feel pampered.
- Indulge in chocolate crepes draped in strawberries and blackberries with whipped cream on top. Feel complete.