March 8, 2009



Happiness is ephemeral, transient, vague, indefinable. Honestly, the quest to be 'happy' has often been the source of more misery for me than other worthless journey I have undertaken. Those who are wiser-than-I have told me time and again that true happiness comes from within. It comes from a sense of satisfaction in oneself, a sense of independently constructed whole-ness that does not depend on anyone else. I understand that. I do. But at the same time I know that I've never really been able to summon up whatever it takes to unearth the hidden wells of happiness from within. Happiness teases me like a fickle lover with brief glimpses, slight touches and suggestive smiles, all the while knowing that as soon as I show more interest, try to follow, it's going to disappear and I'm going to be left here wondering if this was nothing more than a figment of my imagination.

1 comment:

vnug said...

From my limited experience on life - "happiness" is over-rated and a mirage. I think we should strive for "Contented" feeling. For example - somethings might make you feel happy ... but despite not having them if you are ok ... then that is being "content". That is how I would like to see life. Sometimes eventhough one deserves something ... they may not get it and that should not pull them into gloom. If one is "content" they will move on. I came here from "Silent Eloqunce". Enjoy.