March 6, 2009






Dear Friend,

Today, you have have disappointed me in every way, regardless of whether you turn out to be right or wrong in the end. Real friends, for me, aren't there to preach about morality, or provide guidance, or serve as personal evangelical guides to the truth. (Sometimes they do anyway, but that's neither nor there).

Real friends, my love, make you laugh when you cry, they bring you joy when you hurt, they fight battles (even if the odds are against you) at your side. And when it's all over, they help you bury the bodies. Then they take you out for a drink.

And if they don't, then they're not my friend. And the truth is, I would be happily have only one real friend than have a hundred 'acquaintances' like you. Because as much as I value your 'supposed' friendship, I know that I value loyalty much, much more.

So thank you once again for your kindness in befriending me, and I hope you won't take this the wrong way if I turn away. In any case darling, it's not you, it's me. I really don't know how to be 'friends' any other way.

Regards,

Me.


2 comments:

Marina said...

We're in complete agreement on this. And the sad thing is that acquaintances, people to hang out with, 'social' friends are a penny a dozen, but friends who'll stick their neck out for you, and who you'd stick your neck out for are few and far in between.

Arunima said...

haha, what has happened?

Check if they are really friends.