January 1, 2009

Karachi's a strange city. Just when you come home, and see that home isn't home anymore. That everything is topsy-turvy-upside-down and nothing makes sense and more than anything you long for the familiar (which has now scarily become NY just when you're on the eve of leaving it), the city does an about turn on you and reminds you that at the end of the day you're intrinsically tied to it, and always will be, even if you leave it forever.

Last night I was planning to sit at home and vegetate - because that's what I've been doing since I got here - but a friend came over and I went out. And despite myself I had a GREAT time. We were barely twenty people and we had a plugged in jam session with great music. Then we went off to the party-hopping which turned out to be dismal because Karachi - it seems - is filled with nothing but underdressed, underage, teeny-boppers. I came home around sunrise and for the first time since I came back I felt like things were marginally back to normal.

And then this morning my mom told me a chilling story of someone we know who was shot last night, in another attempted robbery type situation. A man who was sitting with his family to dinner and went down to get some ice-cream (this is in Nazimabad) and never came back.

Happy New Year.

No comments: